How it Works
Learn how to become a flow pro!
Learning how to use your cup can take some time and practice. Like learning how to use contact lenses, it might seem daunting at first, but before you know it, using your UltuCup will become effortless and natural.
When learning to use the UltuCup, we recommend practicing using both fold methods to see which one works best for you. All bodies are different and what may work smoothly for one user, may not work as well for another.
We are here to help you with your menstrual care experience, if you have any questions please feel free to contact our consumer care team at email@example.com.
Inserting the UltuCup
Step 1: Wash
Before insertion, thoroughly wash your hands and the menstrual cup for 60-90 seconds with warm water using a mild, unscented soap.
Step 2: Fold
To insert the UltuCup fold the cup using one of the following options.
U Fold - Press the sides of the cup together and then fold it in half again forming a tight "C" shape or "U" shape.
Push Down Fold - Place a finger on the top rim of the cup and press it down into the center of the inside base to form a triangle. This makes the top rim much smaller to insert.
Step 3: Hold
With one hand, hold the folded sides firmly together with your thumb on one side and your four fingers on the other side just below the top rim of the cup.
Step 4: Insert
Get in a comfortable position: standing, sitting on the toilet or squatting. Relax your vaginal muscles. With your free hand, gently separate your labia. Insert the menstrual cup into the vagina aiming it horizontally towards your tailbone (located at the base of your spine). The menstrual cup will open before it is completely inserted. This is normal. Continue to insert towards the tailbone until the stem is even with the vaginal opening and does not protrude. DO NOT push the tip of the stem further than ½ inch (1.27 cm) into the vagina.
TIP: The UltuCup is not inserted like tampons, do not insert the cup too high. This may cause leaks and can also make removal more difficult.
Step 5: Rotate
Grip the base of the cup (not the stem) and turn the cup one full rotation (360 degrees) in either direction or insert the cup about half way, turn the cup one full rotation and then push it in the rest of the way. It must rotate easily as this ensures that it is fully open and that it is positioned horizontally towards your tailbone.
You can also make sure the cup is completely open by inserting a finger into the vagina and gently pressing on one side of the vaginal wall to create space for the cup to open fully.
TIP: While you most likely won’t mind the stem, you can trim it if you’d like. Do not alter the stem until you are positive that you will not need it. Don’t trim the stem any shorter than ¼ inch. Never trim the stem while wearing the cup. Cutting the stem completely will make removal more difficult.
Removing the UltuCup
UltuCup must be emptied and washed at least once every 12 hours. Some people may empty the UltuCup more frequently during the day according to their flow. Before removal, thoroughly wash your hands as recommended. In a comfortable position, either standing, sitting on the toilet, or squatting with your buttocks resting on your heels, bear down in a series of gentle downward pushes with your abdominal/pelvic floor muscles (as if you have a bowel movement). Insert your thumb and index finger until you can reach the stem. Gently pull the stem horizontally until you can firmly pinch the base of the cup. Squeeze the cup gently to release the seal. As you remove it, angle it sideways while moving it from side to side holding it carefully to avoid spills. Empty the contents of the cup into the toilet. Wash the menstrual cup thoroughly as directed and reinsert.
- You must empty and clean your cup 2-3 times per day
- Always wash your hands before handling your cup
- Store your UltuCup in the cotton bag provided
- Keep the tiny holes located on your cup clean and clear of debris
- Don’t store your UltuCup in a plastic bag or airtight container
- Don’t use the cup during sexual intercourse
- UltuCup is not a contraceptive device
- UltuCup won’t protect you against sexually transmitted diseases
- When it is time to replace your cup, dispose of it in the trash. Do not flush it down the toilet
- Keep your UltuCup away from children and animals
- If you notice any damage, please replace your cup immediately
- If you experience any adverse effects, discontinue use and consult with your doctor
- If you have any gynaecological/medical concerns or conditions, please consult your doctor before using a menstrual cup
- This Starter Guide is not offered as medical advice, nor does it substitute for consultation with your doctor, it is informational only